10-Minute Breakfast That Saved My Mornings (Moong Dal Chilla)
10-Minute Breakfast That Saved My Mornings (Moong Dal Chilla)
For a few months, I was getting up at 6 AM and studying before going to work but not eating breakfast almost every day because I said, I don't have time to eat breakfast. There was a period a couple months ago where I would get up at 6 AM, study before work, and still not have time to eat breakfast nearly every day. By the time I reached 11 AM I would be hungry, irritated and picking at any biscuit that was available around the desk. That's where I ended up with "moong dal chilla (which my mother used to make) but I made it as simple as possible so it would fit into a morning with no time to spare.
If you have never known you have a savoury type of pancake, which is a kind of protein rich food and has no fermentation and has no waiting overnight. Once the dal is soaked, it takes less than 10 minutes to batter to plate.
Why this one earns a spot in your weekly rotation
One of the more protein-rich lentils, so it's not your typical breakfast that leaves you feeling hungry at 10 AM.
Oil is minimal, flavour is high; only a teaspoon per chilla is needed as most of the flavour is from ginger, green chili, cumin etc.
Gentle on digestion: Moong dal is easier to digest than heavier lentils and hence, is the first "real" food which is introduced during recovery from illness.
Naturally gluten-free. No wheat, no besan was required; it was only the dal itself.
Genuinely fast. This comes together after soaking, quicker than toast and eggs.
For 4 chillis, you'll need: For 4 chillis you will need:
- 1 cup of soaked 3-4 hours or overnight (if you are ahead of schedule) split yellow moong dal
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 1 green chili (optional if you do not use spice in the morning)
- Salt, to taste
- A good pinch of turmeric
- A small amount of chopped coriander.
- Water, if necessary, to blend
- 1-2 tsp oil to the pan
Finely chopped onion, finely chopped carrot or a spoonful of chopped spinach (optional) – A great way to sneak the veggies in without anyone knowing.
How to make it
- Drain soaked dal and mix with ginger, green chilies, salt, turmeric and water only to make a thick pourable batter, like pancake batter but not a soup
- Add chopped coriander (and vegetables if using) and stir.
- Set a non-stick pan over medium heat and pour a scant dribble of oil in it, then pour about a ladle of batter on top in a thin, circular line.
- Squeeze a small amount of oil around the sides. Fry until bottom is golden, turn over and fry for 1 minute more.
- Serve it hot and straight off the pan, it's not the same once it cools down.
Here are a couple of things I've learned the hard way. Here are a couple of lessons I have learned the hard way:
Make sure batter is not too watery. You might want to add more water to the batter so it is easier to blend, but this will not help the batter hold together when tossed.
If dal is to be soaked overnight, store it in the refrigerator mornings are warm enough to allow dal to over ferment slightly and become a bit sour by the time you wake up.
These freeze very well. Now I do a double batch on Sundays and freeze extras between parchment paper - direct from freezer to pan on a busy morning.
Try it with
Use a simple mint coriander chutney or simply a squeeze of lemon on top of. For a complete meal, a side of curd will make this a lunch you'll definitely enjoy.
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment